Friday, January 16, 2009

I had decided that I didn't want a dog after keeping Oscar for a week. The decision was final, and made carefully. I'm a selfish person, who doesn't (didn't) want to be bothered with the constant needs of a house dog. Right. About face.

As I was leaving Don's store this afternoon, I saw this little dog cross FM 1734. It's a bad, busy place for a dog to be. I picked the puppy up. I am now officialy one of those crazy people who pick up strays.

We visited 3 vets today, and the pound. She has no chip, no collar, no one looking for her that we can identify. She is probably about 4 years old, mostly Schnauzer, heart worm positive, and not spayed. I had the last vet give her a bath, and check her over to make sure she wouldn't give the "big" dogs any nasties.

She is very well mannered. Seldom barks, seems to get along with other dogs, and was nice to the kitty-boys at the flower shop. She rode all the way to New Boston with me this afternoon, and never made a peep. Tomorrow I plan to drive down to Southeast Texas. We'll see how she does on road trips.

I'm giving her owners a week to get in touch with me. If I don't hear from them by then, then I guess I have a dog. Got any good names?

5 comments:

Sarah Elles said...

Heartworms?!?! Cute dog, but can they be cured? Will it die soon?

Annaleisa said...

The vet seemed more concerned with the fact that she hasn't been spayed. I think puppies could possibly be on the way! She seems to have wonkie back legs. Either dysplasia, or she was hit by a car. I'm still waiting for her owner to call. She has an appt. with Eric on the 26th, to take care of the puppy problem. It might be that there will just be too much to fix. Maybe that was why she was on the road.

Shelley said...

Trinity suggested "Sugar" because she looks so sweet :)

Anonymous said...

She is sooo cute.

Heartworms are curable. I had a Cocker that had hearworms and he was cured. If the cure is still the same...they actually give the dog small amounts of arsenic. They have to stay really quiet and calm for a while (several months).
Good Luck if you keep her!!
Lenice

Joe said...

Anyone for Useless II?