Sunday, August 11, 2019

The Flash Flood That Is My Life

I have resurfaced!  I've had lots of time to think, probably too much, since the effects of the chemo have lessened.  I've come to the conclusion that a flash flood is a perfect analogy for this cancer that is  "trying" to kill me.

Flash floods start out slowly, a little bad weather, creeks start to rise, and then boom! More water than can be handled in a short amount of time. The raging flood washes everything away in it's wake.  When the weather clears, and the water recedes, the land affected is washed clean. Sure, there is debris to clean up, sometimes lives and major property lost, but there is also new growth. A clean slate so to speak.

My bad weather started out at the end of June, when I first noticed something wrong with my right breast.  The storm got stronger as June moved into July. Lots of appointments, scans, tests, etc. Lots of confusion and decisions to be made quickly to minimize the damage. Chemotherapy this time, was an unknown challenge. I had no idea how my body would react, what the side effects would be, or how long, or if I'd get through it.

First treatment was July 30.  Exactly one month and ten days since I noticed anything wrong.  Everything has happened so quickly, I'm still trying to get my head around it.  The infusion itself was uneventful. I'm fortunate to be able to have treatments locally.

By day eight, I was beginning to feel a little better. I was able to drive over for a quiet visit with a good friend.

Day 9, more labs and a visit with Dr. Syed. He was pleased that I tolerated the chemo as well as I did.
By day 10, I was back to my original old self!  Lots of errands, lots of projects, and lots of cooking.  My little world is beginning to bounce back.  Everything is looking fresh and green again.

Treatment #2 is scheduled for August 20. I will be on a three week cycle. I know that by doing it this way, it will be longer before I get to #4, but it's worth it to me to have some quality time. The director of the trial, has given us the A-OK.

I have an appointment Monday morning to begin the process of reducing this mop of hair that is still firmly attached to my head.  It should have begun to fall out by now, but it's not budging.  We will also be trimming up the first wig.  If you see a red head in town give me a wave! I decided red would be in honor of my grandfather, Shorty, and my first grandson Joey. I'll think of them when I wear it.

Cousin Page is driving in Tuesday for a visit, and other than that it will be life as usual.  I've said it once, but I'll repeat, everything is clean, fresh & green!


2 comments:

Melissa Burke said...

Praying that round 2 goes as well as round 1.

Darlene Andrews said...

Prayers my friend 💙