Monday, September 30, 2019

Round #3 - #4. Then finished, for now!!!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been having some problems logging in, and have struggled with the idea of putting this whole blog thing away. I've decided to keep it going, so I'll have a record of what I've been going through.

A lot has happened since Sept.10, last chemo day. Mom was hospitalized that day for a-fib.  Allison came in (thank goodness) to be with her during her stay in the hospital.  I was able to visit with her on Tuesday afternoon, after she was admitted to a private room.

The rest of that week I spent on the couch. The side-effects of each treatment have been different each time. Very little nausea this time, just major fatigue and sinus issues which turned into a terrible cough.

Mom was released on Thursday, and Allison left me on the couch.  I wasn't even aware of what day it was. We had to miss our circle meeting on Saturday. The cough was racking! 

The nausea re-appeared just in time for us to leave for MD Anderson on Tuesday, the 17th.  We drove to Houston in Don's truck, thank goodness. Tropical storm Imelda went with us.  We had a quick appointment with Dr. Lim. She thinks the tumor has gone from 5.8 cm to 2 cm.  Good news!
The rain was unbelievable.  The highway we drove in and out on was closed down just behind us.
We made it out just in time.

Mom had visitors on Thursday afternoon.  She was thrilled, and really soaked up all the attention.  She's doing so much better.

I've been accepted into the Artemis Trial.  If interested, you can google Artemis Trial MD Anderson. I'm still not really sure what will be involved, but I'll go into it with hope, and an open mind.  I'm hoping I'll still be able to continue treatments locally.  I was told going in, that if the tumor shrunk by 70% or more, I'd be able to finish with the standard of care, which can be administered here. Fingers crossed! I won't mind, in fact I'll feel reassured to know MD Anderson is following my progression. I just don't want to stay down there for weeks on end.

It's been a crazy three weeks, and the fatigue finally left me this morning. I still have the cough, but it's not as bad. Labs were good again this time, so treatment #4 will be tomorrow morning.  I'm so glad it will be the last one, of this type. Dr. Syed has said the next treatments won't be so harsh. We'll be going back to Houston to meet with the doctors on October 7.  I'm praying that it will be an easy trip.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was wondering why you had not been blogging much. Please continue so we can all be up to date on your adventures. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I admire the way you have taken the bull by the horns on this...just like you have always done in your life, meeting things head on. I sure enjoyed our phone call the other day. Take the best care of yourself and move along! Love ya and I am here for whatever you might need me to do.