Friday, August 3, 2007

Feeling a bit better

First round of chemo was Monday. I received a 3 hour IV, of what the Dr. calls "Folfax". It is a recipe of 3 different types of chemo drugs. When the office infusion finished, they hooked me up to a portable pump, and I came home with a 42 hour dose attached to me. It wasn't quite the piece of cake I thought it might be.
By that afternoon I was already feeling some of the side effects. I couldn't eat or drink anything the least bit cold, and I could not reach into the fridge without gloves on. Didn't I look a sight, 90 degrees outside, and I'm wearing black leather gloves! The nausea held off until Wed. morning when we were able to go to the local hospital and have the pump removed. I guess it was a delayed reaction, but by Thursday, I couldn't get out of bed, and could barely open my eyes.
Now it's Friday :) I feel much better! Bryan is coming in for the weekend and Mom is here watching over us. I'm looking forward to visiting with friends, and just enjoying the sunshine!
I will be going in for the next treatment on Tuesday, August 14., so I will have a week of feeling good ahead.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa, I've been checking the blog a few times a day, anxious to hear how the first chemo went. I have never heard of the being cold natured reaction. So sorry you had such bad nausea ,and so happy for you that you are better. I know you will enjoy Bryan's visit. Glad your mother is there to give you some pampering. Ten day respite! Love, Kathy Spann

Unknown said...

Are you trying to be Michael Jackson now? Oh yeah, he just had one glove! I hope to come see you soon. We just got back from vacation yesterday and caught up with our sleep. So glad you were able to visit Sarah. Sounds like a great trip for you two. Talk with you soon. Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa, I was at Nancy's Friday and heard that you were having a rough time with nausea. Don told us in Sunday school this morning that you felt much better Friday. Great news!
Hey, it may be weird to wear gloves in August, but you probably are more comfortable outside than the rest of us these days.
Love, Mary Gail

Anonymous said...

Anneleisa -

While I was reading your descriptions of your side effects, I was thinking, "Wonderful - the chemo is already working!" Just imagine all of those good molecules surrounding those "bad guys" and devouring them!

I started the heavy duty chemo on August 1st last year. John and I are celebrating this week the wonders of drugs in our lives. It was one moment at-a-time, one step at-a-time, and one prayer at-a-time to get to the top for me. Now I rejoice and thank God for every single moment because "Every day is a gift."

You can do it! One of my very good friends at the college was one of four in research chemo. I often thought of her advise, "When you think you cannot take it one more minute - take another sip of juice." She had a 5% chance of survival - that was in 1995. Lois is the purchasing agent for the new construction at NTCC. Praise the Lord for his mercy and goodness!

You are loved and needed by so many! I am one of countless many friends and family that is praying for your strength every day.

Love,
Paula

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa and family,

Mom told me about your site, but forgot to send me the link. I was able to find it, and have spent the last hour catching up with what was has been happening. You have all been through a lot in the last few months, but your obvious strength is inspirational. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. You have all been in my prayers, as you will continue to be. Love, Julie LeBoeuf (Don's cousin)