Friday, August 31, 2007

Coming Out of the Tunnel

Don and I had a wonderful week last week. We went out to dinner with Barry and Lana on Friday night, Sunday night Jeanni and Colt came over and brought aspargus quiche, asparagus soup, and chicken noodle soup. I HAVE to have those recipes! Colt enjoyed the pool, and it was so much fun watching him have fun. Margaret came by Monday morning and brought a delicious pound cake. Mary Gail brought by some of Bob's famous chicken soup on Monday night. I had lunch out with Alice on Thursday, and Stephanie and Carla came by for a visit that afternoon. On Friday, I went to the shop, and helped with some funeral work. I actually got to work on two easels. It was good to be back. Nancy worked me in for a hair appointment, isn't it funny how good the beauty shop makes you feel? Maybe it's a girl thing. She is so funny. She has refilled my freezer with peas!!!! Yes, they are still very yummy, and I'm still going through them at a pretty good clip. Connie brought a big pot of vegetable soup in, and then made us some broccoli cheese soup. I walked three miles only once this past week. It was just too hot! I did swim quite a bit. Sunday afternoon Hazel brought her two grandbabies over to swim. They really had fun and it was entertaining just watching them enjoy the water.

On Monday Stephanie drove me to Paris for my third treatment. I've lost another pound. I don't get it. I have been eating more than I ever have and I just can't seem to keep the weight on. Believe me, my friends are keeping us well fed! I was glad to have the opportunity to visit with Stephanie. We had lost touch when I was going in to work everyday. She is lots of fun. The treatment went well. Dr Wilcox added some benadryl to the infusion so that I wouldn't break out in another rash. That seemed to help some. I only had two little places come through on my left arm this Thursday.

My red counts were low, but because I seemed to be in otherwise pretty good shape, and my white counts were normal, Dr. Wilcox went ahead with the treatment. I know now why you don't want to get chemo when your red counts are low. I couldn't get out of bed on Tuesday. Don cooked a steak and I was a little better on Wednesday, but I didn't truly rebound until this morning.

A funny new side effect hit me last Monday night. I HAD to have a milk shake. I talked Don into going into town for one, against his better judgement. I knew I needed to drink tiny sips, and do it slowly. It was good! When I went to tell Don good night, I couldn't talk. My tongue was frozen. I sounded like Sylvester the cat. It was so funny, that I had to try to say every word I could think of that started with an "s".

Sarah, Lee and Bryan will all be here this weekend. I haven't seen Lee since I was in the hospital. I hope we don't scare him off. I think Don and Bryan are planning to take him hunting. Welcome to East Texas Lee!

Sarah will get to stay until Wednesday, then it's back to Florida for her. Wish I could go with her. We are going to try to do some shopping, and other than that just hang out at the pool.

If I don't post much this next week, please forgive me again. I'm going to try to enjoy life as much as I can, and that might not include sitting in front of this computer. The sun is supposed to be out every day this next week!! I'm feeling strong, and continue to thank the Lord for all the blessings he has given me. Keep us in your prayers.

5 comments:

Lee Colvin said...

Why would y'all scare me off? See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you should be gaining weight..I am so proud of you Don Boggs.I pray for you all every day a few times a day.Enjoy your family and each minute of the visit..Wish there was something I could do. Maybe when the weather gets cooler,with this lung disease, I can't get out much in the heat, but I would, if you all needed something, I could do...God bless you,Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

Talking about all the food e/one is bringing you makes me feel guilty that I haven't brought you a/thing....but ask everyone that has eaten my cooking - you are probably lucky!!!! Good to check up on you and hear you are doing good...hope your weekend was great! Love, Carla

Mica said...

Ahhh, yes. I remember the healing power of delicious food. I believe Mom and Dad both went through the milkshake phase. :-)

So glad to hear you continue to make progress and getting to spend time with family and friends!! Not sure which is more potent - that or the chemo? :-)

Hugs and prayers
Mica
Psalm 91

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa,
So good, good to hear about all the friends and family being there for you. What fun!
Third round down for the count and moving on!
Love, Kathy Spann