Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy 2008

The new year is going to be a good one for the Boggs family.

I had an appointment with the doctor before chemo on New Year's Eve. We discussed what will happen next. I have one more chemo scheduled for Jan. 14. After that I will have a PET scan in Dallas, then a visit with my colon surgeon. At the end of January, I'll meet with Dr. Saez again, and he'll set up a regimen of Avastin infusions. If all goes as planned, I'll get the Avastin by IV, once every 3 weeks. Avastin is not a chemo drug, so I'm hoping for no more annoying side effects. This procedure will only take 3o minutes to an hour each time. That's quiet a bit of difference. I'm used to going in every 2 weeks now, and spending anywhere from 3-5 hours a time!

The hopeful news through all of this is that the doctor does not think I'll need mastectomies. It seems that the breast cancer was a very early stage, and the chemos and Arimedex have been fighting it all along. After he told me that, I had to ask what he thought my prognosis might be. He thinks I will be cured!!!!!!

I thank God for the skilled doctors and surgeons who were put in our path at the very beginning of this journey. I am fortunate to have had the very best! They were able to diagnose and remove the worst of the disease. I thank God for the miracle of each new drug. I thank God for the HOPE he has given me through Dr. Saez. I thank God for all of our family, friends and neighbors who have prayed and propped us up through all of this.

There are going to be big changes with the Boggs Family in 2008! Don has announced his candidacy. He has been asked to run for county commisioner. He has never been a politician, although he does have some very definite political views. He is a public servant. He excelled when he served on the school board, and as it's president I'm sure he had to make some controversial decisions. He has a talent for seeing what will be best in the "big picture". I know he will make a great commissioner.

2008 will be a healthy, happy one for all of us!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa, I rejoice with you and your good news about the probability of a cure! Nancy M. told me when I was in there Thursday, and reading it here is so exciting and such a relief.
I know that Don is a public servant and believe he will do an excellent job, as I told you and him some time ago. I've often wished he would run for school board again because of his ability to see the big picture and to ask the discerning questions.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Love, Mary Gail

Lee Colvin said...

This news makes me smile :)

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful Annaleisa!! God is soooo good. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!!
Yey!! Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

I have one thing to say....PRAISE THE LORD...He is surely blessing you..What a good year this will be..for your family. I have no idea who my commissioner is , but if I am in Don's place, He has my vote. Please Keep Hilda in your prayers, she had a questionable Mammogram, she went yesterday for more tests, and is now waiting..She and Sidney Tietz were Married on Sunday, they seem very happy, he lost his first wife to cancer..We need to find better cures..donate people when American Cancer asks...God bless you, sweetie...Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! I have faith that when we pray our prayers are answered. You are a gift of God and he has much more for you to accomplish in this life.
I want to Thank You for the wonderful food you brought out to us on Christmas Eve. We enjoyed your visit and being able to see Sarah. Sorry about Dan almost eating her dog for a snack. He is just an ole country boy and doesn't have any manners. I don't think he really knew that it was a dog...he has never seen anything like that before!
I am still recovering but doing better. I started a new treatment for my lupus, methotrexate, and it has giving me a run for my money but this to shall pass.
Chip and I want you and Don to come out for dinner very soon. Colt has even started cooking some so this boys may take over that role completely. Wouldn't that be wonderful.
Stay in touch or give me a call and we'll eat lunch together sometime this week.
Jeanni