Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Almost Done!

A constant reminder on the door to the treatment room.

"The Team" Nick, myself, and Chad
Well, I've almost made it. Last treatment is scheduled for tomorrow at 1:00.
I won't lie, it's been rough, but I haven't had to miss a treatment, and I'm finishing on schedule.
I can't help but wonder what exactly all this radiation has done to my body. I mean other than wipe out any stray cancer that might have been floating around, which is why I willingly allowed myself to go through this treatment. Since diagnoses I've had 3 pet scans, and I've lost count of the ct scans and x-rays. I figure by now I've probably been exposed to as much radiation as a human can safely be. Who knows?
The first day I realized that this was serious stuff was the day they couldn't start the machine because there were workers on the roof. They didn't want to cook some poor unsuspecting maintenance guy, so we waited until the roof repairs were done, then proceeded as usual. I then noticed that after I was "set up" everyone would run, and I'd hear that huge door close. I was left in the room with all that "stuff" buzzing around and through me. If the radiation can float up through the ceiling and roof, and do a number on someone up there, there's no telling what it's done to me.
Wouldn't it be ironic to survive chemo, radiation, and all the emotional crap that goes with it all, just to find out years later that "sorry, you have radiation induced cancer." There probably isn't really a cancer called radiation induced, but it sounds about right.
Anyway, I just have 1 more to go-yeah! I asked the guys if I could keep my block and have it framed. A block is kind of like a stencil, made out of some serious metal, that focuses the radiation where you want it to go. Nope. Seems my block is bio-hazardous. Figures.
I've been spending some time lately surfing you-tube. The kids are mortified, but thought I'd share this oldy with everyone. I think it's funny, and it's kind of fitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now,you can enjoy the Holidays!!! What a journey you have had..You have had one thing to add the list,you named...Lots of Prayer. I know personally, I have prayed just about everyday for you,I believe that is the single most powerful thing, even more than the treatment you have experienced..God bless you and your family in the New Year..Just Trust in Him,He can do so much more,than us humans can imagine..Merry Christmas, with Love, MaryAnne

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.