Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mom's Post on FlowerChat

When I showed Mom her blog, she showed me a post that she had written on her Flower Chat. Flower Chat is an online community for florists across the world to commune and talk about the business, and their lives in general... she wanted me to share this on her blog as well...

~Sarah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thursday, May 24, I was notified that biopsies done on my breast had come back positive. OH MY GOD! I have cancer.

The following day I went into the hospital to have a colonoscopy. This procedure had nothing to do with the mammogram, or earlier biopsy. It was just time to have it done. The surgeon told me when I woke up that I had a tumor in my colon, and he was almost certain that it also was malignant. Twice in two days!!!!

I have since had a pet scan, which showed us that I have a malignancy on my liver, in the lymph nodes in my chest, the tumor in my colon is in fact malignant, and the breast cancer is lobular, rather than glandular, which means it is scattered.

So here I am, three weeks later. I am still numb, I'm stunned, I don't know what I am.

I will be going into the hospital next week, to have the colon cancer removed, and my colon resectioned. Thank God for modern medicine. At the same time, a second surgeon will be working on my liver.

I am looking at being in the hospital for about a week, then I will be facing 4-5 months of chemo. Followed by more surgery.

Life at the flower shop has stopped for me, for now. I just don't have the stamina that is required to be there. Thank goodness for the wonderful ladies who work for me. They are keeping the place going, and running it like it was their own. The doctors have assured us that I will be back. This is all treatable.

I have always tried to live my life by the saying that God expects great things of those to whom great gifts are given. That has always pulled me through many hard times.

A while back, someone posted the following meditation. It moved me to tears the first time I read it, and I immediately wrote it down. I have carried it with me ever since. I have been repeating it all day today, and I need to thank whoever wrote it.

"It takes patience to trust
courage to fear not
confidence to have faith
strength to be at peace"

Please keep my family and friends in your prayers. And please, please, take care of your health, get your recommended yearly check ups so that maybe you can all avoid this nightmare.

Annaleisa

No comments: