Monday, July 16, 2007

Don drove me to Paris, TX this morning to meet with Dr. Celeste Wilcox. She is my oncologist, and I think we'll be a good fit. The game plan is as follows: I'll be going to Titus Regional for one more CT Scan, so that she will know my "architecture". Next Tuesday, the 24th, I'll have my port installed. After that I'll be going to Paris every 2 weeks for treatments.

Right now, we are looking at 6 rounds of 4 treatments each. I probably won't loose my hair, most don't on these particular drugs, so that's good news. There is medication for nausea, so I won't be worrying about that. I will probably be pretty fatigued, but that will only mean that the medicine is working.

The people who are closest to our family will remember Useless. She was Joey's dog, a bull dog mix who someone dropped at our driveway, a complete stray, who befriended our family, and ended up living the Life of Riley!

She had her own chair in every room. She really was a wonderful dog. She hated snakes, and protected our family many times over from water mocassins, and copperheads. The first time she was bitten, the snake got her on her face. She swelled up like a hippopotamus. We took her to the vet for a shot and she ended up looking like a pelican.

She chased the cows one time too many, and Don hit her on her head with a fence tool. It just bounced off. Another time she chewed up a plastic bottle of finger nail polish remover, and chased it down with a steel wool pad, it didn't even slow her down.

She was famous for sneaking food off the counter, or wherever she could find it. Chocolate cakes and brownies were favorites, but she couldn't resist Williams Fried Chicken. She could down a whole bucket in under 30 seconds.

I think I must be like Useless. I keep bouncing back. I don't know if a purebred could be quite as resilient. Useless lived to be about 15 years old. She was one lucky dog!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa,

Thanks for keeping up with your blog so that we can know what is current with you without hassling y'all on the phone all the time. I'm glad that Paris has worked out for you since that will be easier to cope with than constantly driving to Dallas. Paris is lovely this time of year, and Paris Tx is sort of OK too ( ha ha ).
Hang in there, you are always in our thoughts and prayers!
Love Donald & Cathy

Anonymous said...

Well, sweetie, that means you'll live to be 105..because that was 15 yrs in dog yrs, is....you go girl...If I can help, let me know...I will keep praying. Maggie Cox told me to tell,hang in there. she is has breast cancer and is probably having surgery next week in Dallas, she told me Sunday, she told them to take it off, she didn't need it any more, Janet took her today for tests in Dallas..She is 92, and still a hoot...God bless you all...Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa -

It is so very good that you have a plan. The wait is exhausting, but it is well worth it. The only real bother for me was the wig thing - looks like you are home free! Yes! However, I have two - blonde and brunette - if you just want to be someone else for a day. :-)

Cancer puts your entire life in shock - you, your family, your friends, your finances, and your future. You are in the most difficult part because there are so many decisions to make. It is a special time to know and trust God's goodness and grace.

My daughters ask about you frequently. You are in our thoughts and prayers every day.

Love, Paula

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength,
They will soar on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 40:31

Anonymous said...

Dear Annaleisa,

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch before now but my mother, Loy and Veggie have all been keeping me updated. I finally got back to Anahuac and saw your mother Sunday at my mother's house so it was good to see her. I can't imagine what you've been through but just sensing you positive tone is so inspirational to me. I will continue to pray for you and that you will find comfort from the Great Healer. There is no limit to what God can do in and through us and our situations and circumstances, no matter where we are or what we're going through, if we always choose to be His vessel of honor. You have obviously chosen to be such a vessel and I will pray for your continued strength. Although my ordeal pales in comparison to yours, I found comfort in the simple scripture of Exodus 14:14. Let the Lord fight for you as you lean constantly on Him. There is no better comfort.

I hope to talk to you soon.

With Much Love,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa,
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your blog. I think about you daily and check the blog often.
Let me know if you need a ride to Paris. I can handle driving in East Texas, just not a good metroplex driver.

Loved the dog story. I remember the dog that rode to church with Don every Sunday and stayed in the truck. We are keeping Stephen's beagle while he and Kerri are on their honeymoon. Yesterday the beagle (Maddie) ate all of Bruce's chicken salad sandwich and chips, and knocked his drink over onto the love seat while Bruce was on the phone during lunch. :]
Don't know if she will live as long as Useless !!
Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa,

Your inner strength shows through your faith in God. Everyone that knows you and your family wishes you the best; we care and want to help, but God is truly with you each moment and it is obvious that you turn to Him.

Joel talked to Don the other day and if there is anything we can do please let us know...run errands, get you out, drive to appointments...whatever.

Love,

Joel & Sally

Anonymous said...

Hey, Annaleisa! Just checking on you and things sound like they are moving along. I was going to let you know that Dawn had made it home but I had forgotten how fast news travels among the Anahuac crowd. I see she has already gotten in touch with you. I also wanted to remind you that when you do have to come back to Dallas, I would love for you to come by here. I'm right on your way less than 3 minutes off I30--unless you get caught at the red light. Then it's more like 5! Remember how precious you are to the Lord. Despite what you are going through, His healing arms are around you and He has seemed to make your pathway a little easier with successful surgery and treatments closer to home. You are blessed to have so many prayer warriors on your team!
Love from an old friend (in more ways than one!),
Cheryle

Anonymous said...

Well written article.