Wednesday, July 4, 2007

So, I've been thinking for the past two weeks about how very fortunate I am. I grew up in a tiny town. There were less than 2,000 people in my town. That meant that I went to school with about 73-75 people, from the time I was 9 or 10 years old, all the way through high school. When you know people for that long, you generally feel a bit closer to them, you know their families, their grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I always thought I had 73+ brothers and sisters.

I moved to Mt. Pleasant in 1976. That's 31 years ago. I was the first "Nelson Granddaughter" to leave Chambers County. No small feat! Anyway, I've now been in Titus County, longer than I ever lived in Chambers County. Don and I have raised our family here. I have two hometowns.

The first visitors I had while in the hospital were Anahuac "Sisters and Brothers". Mike and Dale came in, and Cheryle, whom I had not seen in over 30 years came by. I am so fortunate. They made me laugh, and forget all about everything. It was like we were back in high school without a care in the world. The next day I think it was, 2 more Anahuac Sisters, Loy and Veggie came by. They both live in the Austin/Temple area now, but drove up for the day. I have seen Loy and Veggie several times over the years, but my heart always feels lighter when they are around, they have known me too long for me to be anything other than Annaleisa.
Since I've been home, I've received calls from Lee, another Anahuac Brother, who now lives in Huntsville, AL., and Debbie, who is in Anahuac. We are making plans to try to all get together in Anahuac at the Gator Fest this fall. Every time I talk to any of these special people, I feel a bit stronger.

I have also had the luxury of a large extended family. Cousins! My favorite "partner in crime", as a child was my cousin Lynn. I guess it was because of all my cousins, we were the closest in age, I don't know, maybe it was just devious minds!! As we grew older, Lynn and her family moved overseas, and I did not get to spend as much time with the Ashby cousins as I would have liked. They were always so much fun, a mob! Then there was Page. Page is my "baby" cousin. She grew up in Houston, which isn't far from Anahuac, so we got to spend quality time with her, and her family while we were all growing up. Page showed up at the hospital. She now lives near the Dallas area. Isn't it funny how God puts people in our paths. She is such a comfort. I received an e-mail from Lynn last night, I'm hoping that we can re-connect soon.

When I returned home from the hospital, I was over-whelmed with the number of cards that were waiting for us. I say us because at this point, my whole family is involved in this fight. Friends and acquaintances from all over the country, flower industry friends, old family friends, people I barely know. The wonderful people in Mt. Pleasant, brought in food to nourish us, and we can feel the prayers that surround us. When I think about all of the good wishes that continue to flow our way, I truly feel stronger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope things go well for you tomorrow. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you will be enjoying this Independence Day. God Bless you all!

Mike, Christine and Grace O'Neil

Judy Hoffman said...

Annaleisa, Susan Arnold sent me the link to your blog and I am so glad to hear about your recovery. I think about you all the time,but hesitate to call because I know the phone can be exhausting. I would love to hear from you and find out what else you are facing and the time frame. I have my 3rd chemo on July 10 and it will be my halfway mark YEA!! It usually knocks me down for 1-2 weeks then I gain strength about the 3rd week then it is time for another treatment. Take care of yourself and know that I am praying for you along with many others. Love to you and your family. judy

Anonymous said...

Annaleisa, hope you have a safe trip today ,that you get rid of the staples and that the trip doesn't tire you out..We will call this afternoon late and check on you.

Love, Dad and Mother